Monday, August 29, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me


I just called my mom and had her recount my entire birth story. I know it's kind of cheeseball, but my birth was no cake walk, and I thought it would be special to have the story written down for the future. 

"Dad came home early from work to go to school. He left around 2, and I went into labor. The people at the hospital said it would take a long time, but within a few hours I was in hard labor. I just had babies fast, I guess. We didn't have cell phones, so I had to call Dad's school to get a hold of him in class. He came home around 4, and we went to the hospital. I walked in, had a contraction and doubled over from the pain in my back. Hard labor only lasted a few hours.
We didn’t have a sonogram. They said you were early, but the thechnology to calculate due date was a little more primitive. They put the heart rate monitor on me and you, and you were in serious distress. I was only dilated to a nine instead of ten. The umbilical cord was wrapped twice around your neck. You would have strangled if I had pushed. So they did an emergency spinal tap for a C-section. I never got to use my breathing techniques. I never even finished my lamaz classes. Dad wasn’t in the room because it was such an emergency. I kind of passed out because so many drugs. I felt like I was floating in the air. They told me you were born, but I don't remember hearing your newborn sounds.
You were born and they gave you to me. I nursed you once because they said it would help stop my own bleeding. They took you away to go to baby care, but you had a blue episode and all your fingernails and toenails and lips turned blue, and you were put into NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). We weren't allowed to have you come back into the room. We had to visit you there. They thought you might forget to breathe again. You stayed there for 4 days.
I stayed in the hospital for 3 days because I had the Caesarian. They sent me home without you. I had 1 night without my new baby. My doctor didn't give me any painkillers for the surgery. 
You were 4 pounds 15 ounces. "

Just want to thank my parents, especially my mom, for doing all that for me 22 years ago today.

1 comment:

  1. oh happy late birthday!! dude thats not cheesy, i love that kind of stuff. now i want to call my mom and get my story!! i was a cesarian as well. problem children i guess

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!